Today we have added an article to our science notebooks and answered some questions within them. Students also needed to underline/highlight the vocabulary words within the article. These questions are to be completed for homework if they are not finished during class time. All answers must be in complete sentences.
1. What is a wave? How are ocean waves and sound waves similar?
2. What is a trough? How is it different from a crest?
3. What is the name for the flow of charged particles?
4. What are two or three of the most important points you've found in the reading?
5. Write a one-paragraph summary. Include the most important points from number 4.
Just a quick update on what we've done to start this new unit, and things that should be within your science notebooks...
1) We took detailed notes about waves, that included vocabulary words and labeled diagrams. The PowerPoint where we got these notes has been posted under the Assignments and Resources tab.
2) We have a week's worth of Bell Ringers (need to have the date, question and answer in a complete sentence for full credit)-these will now be checked at random instead of on a weekly basis
3) We created a study tool in our notebooks that has a labeled diagram on one page and the answers within a foldable on the next page. There should be a term and definition under each flap, so that students are able to quiz themselves in preparation for our next quiz or test. We worked on these in class, but students were to complete them at home if they did not get them finished the few days that we worked on them. Please make sure that your child has completed this valuable study tool. :)
4) We have completed a Dump&Clump-Pyramid Style, but have not taken it home as of yet.
**Reminder: we will be doing 'weekly' quizzes now to make sure that students are keeping up with the material. I say 'weekly' because they will be at the end of each objective, which is typically covered in about one week, but could be up to two weeks. We are also still determining as a science team whether or not to start weekly homework assignments, but I will let you know as soon as it has been decided.
Just a friendly reminder that grades close tomorrow. All missing work must be turned in tomorrow in order to receive credit. The test corrections are also due tomorrow. Students know that they are able to get full credit for every incorrect answer, so they have the opportunity to get 100% on this test. I realize that this test was difficult, and take some of the responsibility for the low test scores. I am going to try to change up what we are doing in class to ensure that students are getting all of the material. Part of this change includes weekly quizzes. Our first quiz will be on Monday, on the notes that we have covered this week. Because we now have a quiz each week, Notebook checks will now be random (as in, I will no longer check them every Friday).
What a busy week we've had! Two labs and a FLIP down, we are almost finished with our first unit (yay!). We will be reviewing Monday and Tuesday next week, playing some review games Wednesday, and taking our test on Thursday. Please make sure your child is studying for this test by going over class notes, vocabulary, and the information posted under the resources tab.
Also, please check your child's grades on PowerSchools. I have updated everything that I have thus far. With the exception of one misplaced Video Rubric in my 1st period (I have talked with them and we are trying to figure out what happened to their rubric), all work that currently has no grade recorded online was not turned in to me. The majority of the grade declines that I have seen in my class are either from not doing the optional corrections or not turning in work. It is now too late to turn in any missing work from before the interim, but the new stuff may be turned in up to two weeks after the due date and will be subjected to a late penalty of 10% off each week.
Last, I am working on adding a curriculum and standards map and a page for my CIA. If they are not up this weekend, they will definitely be up by the end of next week.
**This weekend I will be out of town, traveling for the major part of Friday and Sunday. I will do my best to check my e-mail, but may not be able to get back to you until late Sunday. I apologize for this inconvenience. Hope you all have a great weekend! :)
Extra help is available every Tuesday from 3:30-4:30. Please remember that you MUST fill out a permission form (below) and turn it in the day before in order to attend.
For some of our projects this year, I will be asking for parent volunteers. If you already know that you would like to volunteer in the future, please contact me. Otherwise, the need for parent volunteers will be included in the weekly update. Thank you! :)